Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Crayola Colors Word Roll

Give a kid a grid of 36 words and two dice – one manipulated with the letters A through F – and let the fun begin! That’s what Melissa over at Wishes Dream Love did with her son and it seemed like such an amazing idea, I thought we’d try it at my house.

Instead of practicing sight words, I used the color names printed on the crayons in a box of 24 Crayola crayons. (We had a brand new box leftover from the school year.) I used sticker paper to print A, B, C, D, E, and F stickers to alter one die and Microsoft® Excel to create the grid. All that was left to do was to hand it over to my son.

When he rolled an A and a 2, he found the box on the grid, read the color words, looked through his crayons, and colored that rectangle with “carnation pink.”


He caught on immediately and didn’t stop until every square was colored – even the white ones!

This was a fun activity that got my son reading and taught him a few things about color (e.g. violet is purple so “blue violet” must be a bluish purple color, “apricot” is peach, etc.). Click on the red words above to download the Crayola Colors Word Roll grid or download a blank template here to make your own.

8 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I'm thinking this would be an awesome center too. Thanks for sharing!
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking he will miss working on his activities on days that you don't have one....maybe there aren't any! The dice adds a whole new dimension to the "game". Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea!
    littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You get a huge sticker for participation! Thanks for linking up! I love this idea!
    littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so just "pinned" this on Pinterest!


    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I do something very similar in my classroom with partners coloring the box if they can read the word correctly and seeing who has the most boxes colored at the end of the game. They love it!
    Cyndy
    Counting with Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for this idea...I just did this with my 6yr old and he LOVED it. He is in reading lab and this game was perfect for sneaking some reading in with some fun. I am now a follower of your blog

    Ellen
    http://casualcha0s.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete